Thursday, February 12, 2009

For the Love of The Game

A non finance related post but my first finance like passion was buying and collecting baseball cards. I have thousands and thousands and even got an early software program (like maybe in 1993 or even earlier) to catalog and store all the information for my cards on a computer with like 8mb of ram. I would sit on my bed and go through them over and over again. Favorite team was the cubs and I knew every player and every stat.

Anyway this lady found one of the world's first baseball cards in her attic. Was going to sell it for $10 and then thought maybe it was worth more. Umm yeah, $75,275.78 more. So far the love of the game here is a baseball card post.

By the way, for those who are curious, my favorite card is a Ryan Sandberg rookie card and my most valuable card is probably a 1961 Roger Maris

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Baseball-granny-cashes-in-big-with-sale-of-rare-?urn=mlb,140821

Remember Bernice Gallego? The lady who found an 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings card in her attic, put it up for sale on eBay with a starting price of $10 and then pulled it down after realizing it might be worth much more?

Turns out Gallego's hunch was right. After a three-week online auction, the Fresno resident sold what is believed to be one of history's first baseball cards for $64,073.

Got to lover her humor:

"I'm so happy for the card. Oh and for me too, of course," said Gallego on Tuesday night. "I had hoped to bail out California from this financial emergency, but it didn't quite get that far. But maybe it'll bail out my credit cards."

No comments: