Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Programming for My Mind

I have been sort of out of action recently. This past weekend I spent like 3 hours in the emergency room to get 8 stitches after laying my lip open playing football. (I have a better story for some of my guy friends that involves defending a random girl on Northgate in College Station but the football story is the true story) I had to get a tetanus shot and I think I had a negative reaction where I had a fever and have been weak for a couple of days so anyway my productivity has been somewhat down.

In actuality though the lack of productivity may be beneficial. I have launched a crusade to unlearn everything that I learned at my prior job. That is slight exaggeration of course because I learned quite a bit about debt and investing within the capital structure but the investing tidbits I picked up are horrific and very counterproductive to long term investing success. I knew it while I was there and know it even more now. So trying to reprogram my mind back to where it was before the job. One of things I have been doing (working out well since I have not been able to do much lately anyway) is watch some lectures from the Colombia MBA program that specialize in value investing. This program is amazing and the only reason I have ever considered getting an MBA. Anyway they can be found here. http://valueinvestingresource.blogspot.com/2007/09/lectures-from-columbia-universitys.html

They are a true class, about 1.5 hr long with such greats as Christopher Browne and Andrew Weiss giving lectures. Anyway there is so much to glean from these lectures and I highly recommend them. I hope to finish all of them over the next week or so.

By the way of the two Andrew Weiss lectures the 2007 one is much better. The 2006 is a repeat of the 2007 lecture without going in as much detail and has some audio problems.

No comments: