Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dead Man Walking

Thanks goes to Nathan for this. Interesting write up on the cycle of a bank becoming a dead man walking. It also talks about the GSE debacle and mentions some of the banks that are currently dead men walking.

http://www.safehaven.com/article-11073.htm

But this is where it is "different this time". Not only is it different, I think it may be unprecedented in nature. When I look at my Bloomberg monitor each day that contains my 100 most important indices, companies, commodities, bonds, bond spreads, preferred shares, etc, I shudder. The reason I shudder is that my screen doesn't have just one "problem child". It looks like a screen that contains many "dead men walking".

on the GSE's

While I have been expecting nationalization for quite a while, I am intrigued along with my peers and colleagues as to why the bailout is taking so long to accomplish. This is where it gets interesting and dangerous from a systemic point of view. My hunch is that the reason for the delay is that the Treasury Department is "peeling back the onion" on Fannie/Freddie and finding out just how much of a mess the two of them are in.

dead man walking cycle

It is a pattern that is not terribly dissimilar from the emotion charts I like to focus on so much. In the graphic below, I will offer my "recipe for disaster" for a bank or brokerage firm. I would like this cycle to be called, "The Dead Man Walking Cycle".

No comments: